Sunday, August 29, 2010

More College Previews


The Big 12 will be interesting because it will be Nebraska's swan song. Next season they will move over to the Big 10 (which has 11 teams now, and will have 12...). The Cornhuskers have a classy group of fans and have been known to give an ovation to the opponents who play well and courageously. I like that. I don't like Nebraska however. May be because of the extreme beat down they put on the Gators in the national championship of 95. But I digress.

The South has ruled the Big 12, with Texas and Oklahoma taking turns winning the title. Last season Nebraska came within 1 second of upsetting the Horns, but it was not to be. This season it appears Nebraska's momentum may take them back to the top of the North, while the Red River Shootout should again determine the South representative. Most predictors are taking Oklahoma and Kirk Herbstreit is picking the Sooners to lose the BCS championship to his Buckeyes. I like Texas. Mack Brown does a great job and it may just be a hunch (or indigestion), but I'm going with the Hookem bunch. Texas actually plays AT Nebraska during the season, so if it goes like I think, they will have a rematch (see SEC for another similar situation). Of course, if Oklahoma does win the South, it will be pretty cool to have Oklahoma vs Nebraska in the Huskers last season in the conference. Growing up, Oklahoma vs Nebraska was one of those handful of great games each season, that we watched. We only got one or two games per weekend...in black and white :)

Missouri is a good team and could upend the Nebraska party. Kansas hired Turner Gill, but will need a few years. K State and Iowa State are just not legit enough. Colorado has decided to bolt to the Pac 10, but I hear they may delay that until 2012 now. Back down south, Tommy Tuberville has replaced Mike Leach at Texas Tech and while he may upgrade their defense, I expect him to down grade their offense. Oklahoma State may get a 3rd tier bowl and A&M might too, but I'm not buying Aggie stock. Baylor is weak, but has a great QB. Not the most exciting conference, but when I lived in Kansas, I did enjoy their basketball conference tournament :)

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that game in '95 is EXACTLY why I hate the Cornyhuskers! I've been a Gator for like 20 years so that debacle still hurts. I think Mizzou will be the sleeper in the Big 12 this year. I picked them to win the North, but only to lose against Texas for the title.

    ReplyDelete