Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hypesman Trophy


Well, I don't get to vote for the Heisman Trophy winner, which will be announced on Saturday night. IF I did get a vote here would be my take.

I would like to see Colt McCoy win the award. That statement is based on my appreciation for what he has done as QB at Texas and to be honest, his family affiliation with Abilene Christian University.

If my vote had to go to the player who had the best season in 2009, it would come down to: Toby Gherhardt, CJ Spiller, Mark Ingram, Colt McCoy or NDomankung Suh (I don't know how to spell his name, but he is the BEAST for Nebraska). Suh is the most dominant defensive lineman I have ever seen in college football. IF a D lineman were to ever win the award, this would be the guy. Let's be honest though, the HYPESMAN does not go to defensive lineman. It goes to quarterbacks and running backs, and once a decade or so a receiver or DB who also returns kicks and punts for touchdowns. Suh is a great player but he would not get my vote.

Mark Ingram will probably win it. He is a terrific player for Alabama, and not only is the Crimson Tide the media darlings this year, but no Alabama player has ever won the trophy. IF Ingram did not have to share carries with Trent Richardson and even the 3rd RB, his impressive stats would be even more so. He is a great player, but he would not get my vote.

CJ Spiller did not make the list of 5 finalists. He should have. He should have made the finalists and Tebow should not have. I am a huge fan of Tebow, but this season he had not had a "GREAT" season. He has been the media darling for FOUR years now and makes for great tv coverage. Tebow would not get my vote. Spiller has almost single handed carried Clemson to the ACC championship. He runs the ball, catches passes and returns punts/kicks. CJ will be a rich man come April and the NFL draft.

The guy who would get my vote is the kid from Stanford. Gerhardt has better stats than Ingram or Spiller, but plays in the Pacific time zone. Stanford was not on many "national" broadcasts and so he has not received the publicity and coverage that the other guys have. He runs like the wind (white boy!) and runs over people on almost every carry.

Come Saturday night, I expect Ingram, will pull for McCoy and would have voted for Gerhardt!

No comments:

Post a Comment