Monday, November 1, 2010

Georgia Southern Football




My nephew Nate is a undergrad assistant coach at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro. I have long been aware of the Eagles and their success, but this weekend I finally made the trip and experienced it first hand.

If you are only a casual fan of football, you will not be able to appreciate the PASSION that Nate brings to the game. He is actually younger than some of the guys on the team, but you could tell that they all respect Nate and his understanding of what GSU is trying to do with their offense and specifically the O line.

Last year I was fortunate enough to go to a Notre Dame game in South Bend. I have also been to Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Oklahoma, Tally, Gainesville, the Cocktail Party, etc., but the GSU experience ranks right up there. Smaller, no doubt. But from the fans on blankets on the hills, to the bald eagle taking flight, it was one of my favorite college football atmospheres. I look forward to going back.

I'm also excited about watching Nate progress through his career. If there was ever anyone in his zone, it is this young man coaching football. So stoked!

We left Statesboro with the Florida - Georgia game underway and me listening on the radio. The 21-7 UF lead at halftime was about as solid as FSU's lead over NC State the other night. When the Dawgs made their run in the 2nd half, we stopped in Brunswick (south on I95) to get some grub and watch the exciting finish of the Cocktail Party :) By the way, the Gator helmets sans stripe threw me off! It took overtime, but that is now 18 our of the last 21 :) A good 50th birthday present for my old pal Duane (today).

I'd like to see the Rangers keep the World Series going a bit longer. Nothing wrong with a 7th game...nah...

Crestview beat Leon. Wow. On to a showdown with the highly favored FISHHEADS :)

November means it is time to start separating the pretenders and the contenders! By the way, I'm not so sure that UCF isn't the best football team in the state I know, the Noles and the Gators would beg to difer, but the Knights are playing well. Unlike the Canes :) :) Oh joy!

Coming up, Noles vs Tarheels, Gators and Vandy. Alabama & LSU. TCU at Utah will be a good one. Sweet!

Out

No comments:

Post a Comment