Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The end of an era

A lost weekend November 20, 2017 We had planned to visit central Florida this past weekend, but my dad’s health took a nose dive so a return to Crestview took priority. Gators beat UAB and Noles beat Delaware or some team like that. Not worth watching, but I did watch short glimpses. The weekend was a blur because it was TWO weekends as we drove down to Crestview on Saturday Nov 11th and I did not even think about doing an entry last week. On the drive down through Alabama, listened to Auburn pummel Georgia. The night before, Crestview played sloppy but edged Gulf Breeze in the 1st round of the 6A playoffs. This past Friday night, I was able to go to the Bulldogs game against Pensacola Escambia, along with Sharon, Denton, Autumn and Clayton. My brother Marty and nephew Christian also sat with us at the game. Crestview made plenty of mistakes against a very athletic Escambia Gators team, but prevailed 44-34. It was a blast!
Now it is on to St Augustine, who is a nasty good team. The last time my Crestview Bulldogs traveled over to St Augustine was in 2002, when they made the only state championship game in my lifetime. Pete Adams and I drove over to the game and Duane Smith was there, on his way back to North Carolina. Rivalry weekend will have my TV working hard. Egg Bowl Thanksgiving night, with Dan Mullen maybe on the way to Knoxville afterwards…other cross state rivalries include Georgia vs Tech, My Gators vs My Noles, South Carolina and Clemson, and of course the Iron Bowl!
Football is coming to an end to fast, but as of this post and Thanksgiving holiday, it will be the first since my dad passed away. Something is missing and that something is you dad…

No comments:

Post a Comment