Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mega conferences?


I'm just getting started on my pre season take on the upcoming college football season and it appears the cfb world is about to end as we know it. IF Texas A&M goes to the SEC, it will be the trigger for mega conference alignment. The mighty SEC will not sit back and get left out of the money (I mean team) grab. A&M going SEC would require at least one more team, probably 3 more. Florida State is being mentioned, as are Clemson and Mizzu. The Noles had a chance back in the early 90's and went to the ACC. The amazing 14 year run of dominance (all top 4 finishes) would not have happened if WE had been in the SEC. Beating the ACC back then was good, but not near the caliber of the SEC, which wasn't as dominating then, as it is now.

I don't know how this plays out, of whether or not I like it (that is not a factor now is it). I do know that college football is only amateur by the strictest of definitions. The billions being generated are hard to fathom, and with that much money, there is little innocence left standing.

I'll try to get back to my take on the season tomorrow, and start talking some high school football as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment