Monday, October 28, 2013

Last Football weekend of ROCKTOBER

I lament how quickly the season is flying by, but I also will feel less guilty about the time I spend watching football when it ends. I do not obsess like this with other sports. Friday night was very cold at the FCS game, and the opponent was not up to the challenge. One sided games are not really much fun for either team. Lest I forget, the Middle Tennessee finish against Marshall Thursday night was a thrilla. MTSU scored a TD on the last play of the game. Worth staying up a few minutes past my self imposed bed time. Saturday started out by PLAYING football (2 Saturdays in a row!) with guys from work. It was just foolin around playing 3 on 3 touch and 2 of the guys even had their sons out there with us. Still, the competitive nature in me produced an unkind me. I made critical comments about one guy that I should not have. He did not run – at all – or even try. So me and the other team mate were trying keep up with guys faster than us. I got frustrated, but I know most of the frustration is at my inability to run anymore. I was never super fast, but I could have certainly ran with these guys, even 5 or 6 years ago. Now I limp run. Anyway, I wasn’t nice and I feel bad. Somehow I will find a manly apology that spares both of us further embarrassment. On the way home from Hendersonville, I listened to Vandy get their teeth kicked in by A&M. I pull for Vandy and it was hard to listen too. The upset of Georgia last week did not help in College Station. When I got home and put ice bags on both knees, I watched Minnesota beat Nebraska. I’m not a big Gopher fan, but I do pull for conference under dogs, and I love to pull against Pellini’s Cornhuskers. The other very fun game to watch the end of, was Duke’s victory over Va Tech. David Cuttcliff is absolutely one of the best coaches that gets little credit. He does the most with the least. Duke does not have the talent in football, but they now compete well in the ACC. Miami pulled out a W against Wake. I saw it coming and it is fine with me, as it sets up the showdown next Saturday night in Tally, with Game Day stirring up the excitement. I saw the early line today at 21 points. That alone should indicated just how over rated the “U” is. FSU is smoking. They destroyed NC State, going 35-0 in the 1st quarter. Not fun to watch, but the Alabama beat down of Tennessee was equally one sided and over before everyone was comfortable in the seats. Texas Tech and coach Dreamy finally had their bubble burst, by the Sooners. Still a good story. Will be interesting to see how Baylor, OU and OK St resolve the big 12. Oregon had a tussle with UCLA for 3 quarters and then (as they do) opened the floodgates and pulled away big in the 4th. The best game of the day was South Carolina at Mizzu. Mizzu is good and they controlled the game for the 1st 3 quarters, until the ole ball coach put Conner Shaw in the game. Conner was en fuego and the game went to double OT before the Gamecocks came out on top. Mizzu will likely lose at least one more SEC game, so Carolina is back in the drivers seat for the East. Now IF Mizzu can beat A&M and Tennessee (and I think Ole Miss) then I will have to retract my position.
While South Carolina and Mizzu were playing free football, the World Series brought some high drama too. St Louis won the game (despite stranding a few hundred base runners) on an “obstruction” call that you don’t see very often. I’m glad. Our ticket stubs from August 10th will be quite the keepers when the Cards win it all. Florida had a bye this week. I hope like heck they found a little Offense because this Saturday afternoon in Jacksonville we have the Cocktail Party, and Georgia will not have any sympathy for the Gators. I read today where one of the bowl projections has Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. How is that for a turn-around under Gus! 0-8 in the SEC last season and possible BCS bowl this year… I’m killin it today in both my Fantasy leagues…yeh we bad...Megatron rocks. Matthew Stafford culminated the Lion comeback (Cowboy collapse) by sneaking the ball over the goal line when EVERYBODY thougt he was going to spike the ball to stop the clock. Way cool. Oh, and Crestview mercifully had a bye week…painful season for my Dawgs. Titans had a bye week too, and well, I missed them playing. Guess it is happening… Finally, my nephew Christian scored a touchdown for his flag football team! Way to go CDJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment