Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Bucket List weekend




The picture on the right/top is explained below, but if I knew how to caption on this dadgum blog it would have read "Roger back in the drooling circle with his ladies" or something like that. I know that is not nice of me and is insensitive and politically incorrect, but I care not. Roger is one of my favorite people. He has stuck with me for ~ 20 years and challenged and encouraged me as a husband, a father and well, as a christian. He would expect NO LESS from me :)

The Notre Dame trip was one of those Bucket List "journeys". I really want to thank Dr Tulley for giving me the tickets and even creating the thought in my mind to go. So, ND stadium is old school, not much with high tech graphics and things like that (lack of scores from other games bugged me). However, the tradition and the way they put on a game is something else! They have some kind of cool color guard (Irish w/ skirts?) who actually take the flag over to the flag pole and raise it during the national anthem (like folks USED to do). It was moving. Two F15s buzzed the stadium and I don't care who you are, that is a goose bump moment.

The Notre Dame band was huge and magnificent. The crowd was more polite than I'm used too, and they were not as loud as the rowdies are in Tallahassee and no where near the bedlam in the SWAMP. That said, it was so cool (well freezing) to experience all the songs and dances and even the little punching cheer thing (reminded me of both the Rockem Sockem robots AND the animated characters on a computer game my boys played a long time ago).

At half time we looked down near the sideline and saw white "things" flying all around (it was cold to me but it wasn't snowing). Turns out that a bunch of people were throwing marshmellows at each other and at the band. Very funny stuff!

After sitting for a few hours, Roger's ankle was inflammed again and giving him fits. I should mention that Notre Dame lost to UCONN in double over time, so coach Charlie Weiss is probably toast after Stanford beats them this weekend. Roger and I didn't care who won the game. Truth be known we would wanted to pull for UCONN, but had the decency to not do so. The Notre Dame experience was a blast and I'm wondering what my next "Bucket List" journey should be.

Roger got a call from his daughter Kristen on the drive to Chicago last night ( I even turned down the volume of the LSU / Ole Miss game we were listening too:)). She plays volleyball for Southeastern University in Lakeland. They were playing in the big Regional playoffs and surprised everyone by WINNING! Guess who was named Tournament MVP? Kristen was! Roger is gonna have to get his ankle in shape so they can go to the NATIONAL tournament in a couple of weeks.

His ankle was so bad this morning, that he called Delta on the way to the airport and asked for a wheel chair. Delta was outstanding in their response. In fact, they put Roger AND ME in first class on the flight down to ATL, since he had to have assistance boarding :)

Waiting on the connection to Orlando, I read the AJC sports page and saw where Georgia Southern fired Chris Hatcher last night. Big bummer! Nephew Nathan is on scholarship as a undergrad assistant and of course this event could jeopardize his spot, or at least that is the first thing that anybody in that situation would think. I'm confident that Nate will come out smelling like a rose. He turns 20 next Monday...

More 1footin football later as Thanksgiving week provides a wealth of FOOTBALL to feast on!

No comments:

Post a Comment