Sunday, November 1, 2009

Spikes crossed the line!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOy-RMIpF0

I enjoy watching the Florida Gators every weekend. In fact, I'm sure that serious confession is in order for the obsessive amount of time I devote to following the Orange and Blue. I'm not a blind loyalist however. I have dinged Tebow for not playing well a few times this season and now it is time to call out Brandon Spikes for the blatant dirty move he pulled against Georgia yesterday. As I mentioned in the previous post, I was listening to the game not watching it, as I drove down the interstate. But I read on FLVarsity where the CBS camera caught Spikes trying to gouge the eyes of the Georgia ball carrier at the bottom of the pile. The youtube link clearly shows Spike's intent was to seriously injure the poor kid.

I remember being on the bottom of piles and having my face poked and scratched, and a few punches to the groin. It was WRONG then and it WRONG when ever it happens in football. There is plenty of legal violent opportunities, so that players do not need to resort to that kind of dirty and cheap play. I really hope Urban Meyer suspends Brandon for at least a game or two to send a clear message that the Gators can win while playing fairly and with good sportsmanship.

1 comment:

  1. what do you think of espn's judgment:
    "Urban Meyer sent a clear message with his failure to seriously discipline Brandon Spikes: He'll allow nothing, not even thuggish behavior, to damage his pursuit of a repeat national title."

    is pat forde right? what do you think meyer should do?

    ReplyDelete