Sunday, November 15, 2009

Notre Dame "week"


OK, just in case you might have missed it earlier in the blog posts, this coming Friday I am flying into Chicago. There I will meet up with old friend Roger, who is traveling from Tallahassee. We will rent a car and make our way into Indiana where we will stay the night. On Saturday we will ease on into South Bend, and take in all the traditions and cool stuff associated with Notre Dame football. Again, like most southern men, I am not a fan of the Irish, but I do respect their place in college football lore. ND plays UConn at 2:30 and thanks to Dr Tulley, Roger and I have 2 nice seats in ND stadium, next to Touchdown Jesus and all that good stuff!

The 1FootIn blog will certainly provide you with reports on the trip and the sights!

I try to resist football on Sundays, since I completely ignore moderation on Saturdays. However, a few minutes ago I saw Bernard Scott of the Bengals return a kickoff for a TD against the Steelers. It is a big game, and Mr Scott is a former ACU Wildcat. He, along with Johnny Knox and Danieal Manning of the Bears, are representing Abilene very well in the NFL.

Saturday post mortem: One reader objects to my "Al Gore invented the internet" jokes. Tough, its my blog and I can have fun any way I want too :) No college football team would want to play Stanford right now. The crushed USC yesterday, and Oregon last week. TCU crushed Utah in their last big game before bowl season. The Horned Frogs are pretty impressive. They beat Virgina and Clemson on the road out of conference, and BYU in conference. With respect to Boise St, TCU is the one team out of the non BCS schools that could embarrass one of the big boys (like Utah did to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl last year). So, while I am very impressed, I do think it would be tough for TCU to run the table in the Pac 10, Big 12, or the SEC. Not many teams could do that either, thus we will likely only have Texas and the SEC champ pounding their chests in the BCS Championship. Cincinnati is good too, but I would favor TCU if they played this week. Back to the Pac 10 for a moment. With Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon State and USC, there is some exciting football out there, and some really good offenses.

The conference championship games are shaping up like this: Florida vs Alabama in the SEC. Georgia Tech vs Clemson (unless they fall to UVA) in the ACC. Stop here for a moment. I love the Noles, but the ACC championship PALES in comparison to the SEC. The stadium in Tampa will be lucky to sell HALF the seats, while the dome in Atlanta could sell over 200,000 of they had that many seats to sell. Texas will probably play Nebraska in the Big 12. Conference USA has a Champ game, but it is hard to get fired up for that one. Now if UCF somehow made it, that would be worth watching. The Lil 11 does not have a Champ game and in fact they usually quit playing football around Thanksgiving (the bowl games are exhibit A). The Pac 10 does not play a C game, and would need to add a couple of teams to really make that structure work. The Big Least does not have a C game either, but this year they kind of do. Cincy will play Pitt on 12/5 for the championship. It is a regular season game, not at a neutral site, but the winner will be the East's BCS representative. Bearcats are undefeated, while Pitt's only loss was an upset to NC State. I though USF might be a factor, but I was WRONG.

Nap time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment