Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Hi, My Name is Outlaw" or Intervention May Be Required

I am an acknowledged addict to college football, and probably over do it with high school football too. As if that is not vice enough, last night I got completely caught up in the Monday Night Football game - Jets @ Dolphins. I watched the entire game and it was a great one! I've never hated pro football, I just have to draw a line somewhere. On Saturdays I can easily watch football from Noon until midnight. I make some "breaks" so it does not look like complete obsession, I do some errands and fold and iron clothes while I watch, and I usually jog 2 or 3 miles during halftime of the 3:30 games. So, I attempt to avoid football on Sundays and Mondays. This is close to out of control...must keep away from N F L ...

Tonight a college game is on; Arkansas State versus Louisiana Monroe. I do not plan to watch the game (resisting the addiction), but do have a connection to both teams. Cousins played for each, and those cousins are brothers. Cousin Steve (Aunt Darlene's son from a previous marriage) was very good at Crestview High and then played tight end and punter @ Ark State. In fact, he led the nation in punting in the mid/late 80s. He was signed by the Dallas Cowboys and made it to the last August cut, 2 years in a row...His younger brother Larry, Uncle Ronnie and Aunt Darlene's youngest son, was another star for Crestview High and then was an outstanding linebacker for North East Louisiana, which is now "Louisiana Monroe". Larry had 10 tackles at Auburn one Saturday afternoon. I could "wax on" about games I watched the cousins play in, but I'll spare you, for now.

I'll close this post with a trivia question. Who remembers Where's Huddles? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment