Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday Night Football (and baseball)

Living in the Eastern time zone, I never make it to the end of MNF. I am only that dedicated to college. However, the game tonight - Jets @ Dolphins is a good one. The NFL is doing a Hispanic Heritage celebration/honor and it is cool. I went to Landshark stadium a few years ago with pal Duane and watched the Fins play the Redskins and their coach Spurrier.

Over on TBS, the baseball playoffs are in COLD Colorado, where the Rockies are trying to tie the series with the Phillies. When my oldest son was 12, he went with me to Boulder on a business trip, and we did a Rockies game at Coors Field one night. Good times and at that time I think we both appreciated baseball more than we do now.

The Rockies are choking. Had a 4-2 lead in the 9th and the Phils just took the lead back. This is my "during commercial" baseball coverage :)

My pal Duane read my posts about what I loved about playing football. He suggests that i was faster and more athletic than I am giving myself credit for. Duane is obviously sucking up for some reason. I reminded him of a JV football game when we were playing at Walton. I intercepted a pass out to the flats and had 30 yards of uninterrupted grass in front of me to the end zone. Instead of diving in like the cool show offs do these days, I got "picked up" at the 4 yard line from behind and we had 1st & Goal at the 2. So embarrassing! We did score and come back and win the game, but I'm really glad that "run down" was not captured on film...

I participate in the NW Fl Daily News "Pick em" contest and over the last couple of years have "won" a week and the prize "Anglers seafood certificate on Okaloosa Island) that goes with the victory. My cousin Mark picks too, and he should have won the SEASON last year, but they screwed it up. This year he is kicking some major butt again and has a 5 game lead on me already...His only weakness is his loyalty to FSU and Crestview, which will get him! :)

Outlaw

1 comment:

  1. All of a sudden...ALL of America is forced to honor Spanish Heritage month because Hispanic musicians own a portion of the Dolphins. Tell me?...what months will we hear the first call in all the rest of the languages used in America? ESPN dropped the ball on that call!
    This discriminates against ALL the rest of us Americans.

    ReplyDelete